Menu Close


More than 100 streets across Leicestershire have so far applied to hold celebrations to mark The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.

Leicestershire County Council has received 113 applications for road closures to allow parties to mark Elizabeth II’s 70 year reign this Summer. 

Besides street parties, a wide array of other events will be held, including garden fetes, community picnics, local fairs, and music events.

Picture: Ashby Town Council

Most of the events are planned during the extended bank holiday weekend from Thursday, June 2 to Sunday, June 5.

Residents have two weeks left to ask to close their own road for a street parties and applications must be submitted by Friday, April 15.

Any application received after that date will not be processed. 

The usual fees have been waived by the county council for road closures making it cheaper for residents to get together to mark this special occasion.

Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire Mike Kapur said: “I’m delighted that more than 100 street parties are being planned across the county to mark this historic occasion. On top of that, the fetes and garden parties show that Leicestershire is really getting ready to embrace the Platinum Jubilee weekend.

“Although the deadline is fast approaching, there is still time to apply to close a road and come together with neighbours to celebrate. 

“Guidance is available on our website for anyone who is thinking about planning a street party but doesn’t know where to start”.

Information about organising an event on council owned land or green spaces and guidance about licensable activities such as playing music and selling food and drink can also be found on the council’s website. 

Council officials are asking anyone planning outdoor events, even if a road closure is not required, to notify them to ensure they do not clash with other planned work, such as road maintenance.

The council is eager to learn about all the events and activities that are taking place in Leicestershire, and residents can add information about their event or activity to an interactive map on the council’s website.

To apply to close a road for a street party and for more information about the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, visit: